Monday, October 20, 2008

Baby, Let Me Fly My Car!

Some of us still haven't given up on a combination airplane/car, and some of us (fortunately) are aeronautical engineers from MIT. Carl and Anna Dietrich, cofounders of Terrafugia, Inc. ("Flee from Earth") in eastern Massachusetts, are building such a craft now, and they hope to fly it by the end of the year and be selling them in another year. You can read the Boston Globe article here and see more video and read more about it on the company website.

Terrafugia Transition, a "roadable airplane"

Personally, I think they need a snappier name for the airplane than the "Transition," and probably a cooler name for the company, too. But if I had a couple hundred thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket, you can betcha' I'd have my deposit down by this time tomorrow!

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..." —John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger VictoriaB said...

For a little perspective, let me remind you that "Transition" is a Spiritualist euphemism for "death."

You betcha!

Peace, V.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Charlza said...

hehe, I'm afraid the first thought that comes to my mind is that people in Atlanta already can't drive in the rain on the ground...[insert unfinished thought here] :)

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Jeffrey A. Carver said...

>> let me remind you that "Transition" is a Spiritualist euphemism for "death."

Erm...yes. Maybe someone ought to point that out to the entrepreneurs before they go to market. :)

>> people in Atlanta already can't drive in the rain on the ground...

Ah well, people in Boston can't drive in sunshine on the ground, either. Fortunately, you will need a pilot's license to fly one of these. But I did find myself wondering just how paranoid one might feel taking that very expensive flying/driving machine out on the road where the crazy drivers are!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home