Saturday, July 01, 2006

Jim Baen (1943-2006)

Jim Baen, founder and publisher of Baen Books, died on June 28 following a stroke from which he never awoke. He was a major figure in the science fiction field, and one whose influence has been felt in many ways. His death marks another sad milestone in the field.

I knew Jim only slightly. He bought my second short story, "Alien Persuasion," for Galaxy Magazine, back in—actually, I'm not sure. I think it must have been 1975. My story was published at a time when Galaxy was in financial trouble, and it didn't last too long beyond the appearance of my story. (That story was my first venture into the star rigger universe, and ultimately became the first part of my second novel, Star Rigger's Way.) Jim Baen later went on to work with Tom Doherty at Ace Books, then at Tor Books. He finally became publisher of his own company, with Baen Books. My sympathies go out to all those at Baen Books, and his family and friends.

For a more complete and knowledgeable obituary, see David Drake's web site.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home