Friday, May 22, 2009

Alien Speedway to Return to Print

The one book of mine that's been missing from the ebook reprint schedule has been an odd little number that in a way is one of my favorites: Roger Zelazny's Alien Speedway: Clypsis. It's a borderline YA novel (actually written as YA, but published as regular SF), the first volume of a collaborative project between Roger Zelazny, author Tom Wylde (who wrote books 2-3), and me. I wrote it quickly, based on a background and outline that Roger had created. (I know: Me? Write a book quickly?)

I had a lot of fun with it, filled its cast with minor characters named after friends and family, and it drew a great response from the audience. For a couple of years, I heard from more readers about Clypsis than about any of my other books. And then it went out of print, and that was that. Ever since, I have been looking for a way to bring it back.

The problem is, I'm not the copyright owner. Byron Preiss Visual Publications was, because it was one of their many concept creations. Then Byron Preiss died, in a tragic traffic accident, and not too long afterward, his company went into bankruptcy. That left this book as a very small fish in a big, sad pond. But, in time, the assets of BPVP were bought by Brick Tower Press. And I have just received word that Brick Tower plans to republished Speedway, in both print and ebook format.

No indication of a date yet. But I'm most pleased.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to buy a signed copy from you a couple of July 4th's ago at the water park in Ohio. One thing I did a little looking around for were books 2 and 3 so I could continue the story but they do seem to have just disappeared off the face of the earth from what I could tell. It would be nice to be able to read where the story ended up!

-tsmacro

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Jeffrey A. Carver said...

I agree. (And now that you say it, I remember your buying the book from me then. :) )

I just popped off a note to the last-known email address of the author of those two volumes, who I'll bet hasn't heard the news yet.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger substandardTim said...

This is actually the only book of yours that I haven't had the chance to read. Mainly it's because a few years ago when I was buying all of your books, it was the only one I couldn't find.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Jeffrey A. Carver said...

I've had a dwindling supply of the original Bantam edition that I've been selling from my website and at book signings. It was the one book that I could pull out when a parent asked me if I had anything their kids might enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home