Thursday, April 28, 2005

Questions about Writing #5: Personal Perspective

I got an email the other day from a college student, who said he was doing a paper on my work, and would I answer a few questions? Now, if that isn't flattering, I don't know what is. I wrote the answers to his questions, then thought—wait, this is blogstuff. (Is that a word? It should be, if it's not.)

He asked why I became a science fiction writer. My answer:

Because SF was what I always loved to read as a kid, in college, and after college. I got some early encouragement from my family and a couple of teachers, who thought I had some talent for writing. So when I set out to write some stories, it was just natural that I wrote SF. It's still my favorite form of literature, though I don't have as much time for reading now as I once did. I love SF because it challenges the mind, stretches the imagination, and takes us to fascinating times and places that we probably won't get to visit in the flesh. It lets me think about science and art and the human spirit, and a lot of other things, all wrapped up in one. (I also love, as a writer, sticking my characters into strange realities and seeing how they react.)

What's my favorite book?

Oddly, it's not SF--it's fantasy. The Lord of the Rings. I've read it at least 15 times. I love Tolkien's visions, and I love Middle Earth for its magical likeness, and yet distinctiveness from, our own world. I love the mountains of Middle Earth, the forests, the Ents, the elves. And somehow this book hooked me as no other book has in its portrayal of the eternal struggle between good and evil, and the price paid for victory.

Why do I live in New England?

I came East as a college student, and never left. I love the land here, the ocean, the history, the intellectual ferment of all the universities and the culture. And the New England fall--you just can't beat it.

Thanks, Jeff from Plymouth State University, for giving me a blog topic!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:27 AM, Blogger Jeffrey A. Carver said...

Tim, I can understand your being put off by the beginning of LOTR. First time I read it, I almost stopped, too. I had to get about a third of the way through Fellowship before it really caught me--and then I couldn't put it down. It became a tradition to read it every final exam period in college, when I should have been studying for exams.

I liked the movies, a lot--but there were many, many places where I wanted to shake Peter Jackson and shout at him, "You didn't trust the book! You should have trusted the book! Why did you make such a stupid change?!!" Expecially when it involved changing characters, such as Faramir, Saruman, and Denethor. I forgave him because there was so much that he did right.

Mind you, I'm a fan of the authors you named above, too.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Harry said...

tsmacro, while you're waiting for the 4th Chaos book why don't you visit some of Jeff's earlier work? The Star Rigger universe (Panglor, Star Rigger's Way, Infinity's End, et al) and the others (Infinity Link, Rapture Effect, From a Changeling Star, et al) are all great! I'm not sure if they're all in print these days but you should be able to get at least a few in paperback.

Harry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home